Choosing a Kitchen CountertopLearn
Granite or Quartz? Get tips on how to find the right countertop for your kitchen remodel.
At CQC Home, our designers have noticed that about half our clients select a granite countertop, while the other half chooses a quartz countertop. Counters are one of the most hotly debated selection items. Don’t believe us? Just watch any episode on HGTV’s “Love It or List It”. The homeowners always LOVE a particular surface material, and they HATE the other. The key for our designers is to establish the wants vs. the needs, and keeping it all on budget.
So, is one really better than the other? Well, here are the facts. We’ll let you decide.
- Granite is 100% natural. It is mined from quarries from all around the world, then cut and polished to a manageable size.
- Granite can have so much movement and pattern, given that it was made from molten, pressurized rocks. So, no two granite slabs will ever be the exact same.
- Granite is a more cost effective option, especially if the stone if from a local quarry.
- Granite countertops should be cleaned daily with soap and water or a mild household cleaner.
- To ensure the longevity of your investment, consider having your countertops resealed once a year.
- Quartz is a man-made product, using 95% ground natural quartz and 5% polymer resins.
- Quartz can be made to look the same with much more consistency.
- Quartz, because it is man-made, is more labor intensive than just polishing a natural stone and can cost up to twice as much as granite.
- Quartz countertops should be cleaned daily with soap and water or a mild household cleaner.
- The solid surface of quartz means there is no need to have your countertops resealed, resulting in less maintenance.
Countertops set the tone for your kitchen. Our in-house kitchen designer and our selections specialist is here to help you choose the materials and a look that not only reflect your style, but also are in line with how you use your kitchen. Did we mention they are the “Best of Durham” award winning designers? Give us a call to set up a design consultation today!